Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and Controls engineer
46681511

My heatline boiler makes a loud whining noise when I turn the

Customer Question

My heatline boiler makes a loud whining noise when I turn the hot water on. I have British gas cover but they advise that the boiler is out of production and cannot get parts even though it is only 7 years old!
Please can you help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

Andrew Smith : It could be the plate heat exchanger. Do you have the GC no. Of the appliance and I will pull up a diagram.
Andrew Smith : i take it that it does not make this noise when just the heating is on?
JACUSTOMER-fwt9ey8u- : Hi Andrew, apologies for the delay, I have been working but will be home tomorrow and will let you know the number then. You are right no noise when the heating is on only hot water. British gas have been out 3 times but say they cannot get parts for the boiler so I don't know why I am paying £20 a month! Any help you can give I would really appreciate. I can't afford a new boiler but my neighbours have heard the noise!
JACUSTOMER-fwt9ey8u- : Hello I have been away working but will be home tomorrow. Thank you for your reply. You are right it only makes a noise when the hot water is on and not the heating. I will let you know the number as soon as I get home. Apologies for the delay. I'm happy to pay another £11 as this is money well spent. British gas are charging me £20 per month but couldn't fix it and said it was due to the boiler being out of production and couldn't get the parts. I purchased it in 2006 brand new. Thank you again and I will update you tomorrow.
Andrew Smith : No problem, drop me a line when you get back.
Andrew Smith : If the boiler is only that old then parts are probably still available if you let me know the details I may be able to find something
Andrew Smith : BG are probably trying to get you to but a new boiler
Andrew Smith : is it worth the £20 a month?
JACUSTOMER-fwt9ey8u- : Hi Andrew the boiler is a C24/C28 condensing wall mounted combination boiler by heatline, I just wanted assurance of any problems then I can call someone to take care of it so ot the BG cover. I'm going to cancel as they can't repair it they said. Do you want me to pay another £11? I'm happy to do so and appreciate your assistance. Thank you Ian
Andrew Smith : No, you just pay the once when you click on 'accept'
JACUSTOMER-fwt9ey8u- : Hi Andrew, apologies I'm not chasing but just wondering whether you have had any luck with the boiler problem? Kind regards ian
Andrew Smith : If it is only on the hot water then it may be the plate heat exchanger scaled up and therefore the pump is forcing water through it. What is the hot water performance like?
JACUSTOMER-fwt9ey8u- : Hello, the hot water is great, just the noise when I run it. Apologies for the delay, just got home from work. Thank you andrew