Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in plumbing heating and gas
77408428

We have a new Baxi duo-tec How do we turn on the central heating?

Customer Question

We have a new Baxi duo-tec How do we turn on the central heating? we would like to get instant heat - how do we do this please???
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi . do you have a room stat and is your programmer/timer on the boiler or somewhere else?

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Yes, but it's battery operated, not connected directly. It's in one room, but it only has a twist dial with no figures around it, and the display in the middle simply says 'i', no matter how the dial is twisted. The temp on the boiler is set high (34), but still nothing happens. The batteries in the room thermostat are quite new about one month, and good quality (Dureccell Ultra).

Customer:

If the room stat is battery operated then what is receiving it?

Customer:

Also 34 on thevboilker isn't high enough . the heating should be 70 to 80

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

No idea, no wires, it looks quite rudimentary, was in with old boiler.

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Oh no, been put in with new boiler appparently! (Doing this for my Mum!)

Customer:

There must be a receiving box somewhere and it may have lost connection with the room stat . try and find a white square box about 5 inches by 5

Customer:

Do you have a clock on the boiler?

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Yes, found, right next to boiler. Two lights, but neither on. Two buttons, but pressing either makes no difference.

Customer:

Does the room stat and reciever have any writing?

Customer:

If you can let me know the model

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

The thermo has a dial with no writng, a big button in the middle just saying 'SET'. The receiver says WR1 at the top, has light saying ON, a light saying RECEIVE ALARM, both not lit, Then two buttons with Learn mode on the right, but OVERIDE on the left of the top button. Then Wireless Reciever at the bottom.

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

It's British Gas, obvs.

Customer:

Won't British come out and sort it out?

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Well, thought we could sort this out simply. Was installed when heating not needed, but hot water works. Now can't work out how to put heating on when needed.

Customer:

Ok . on the back of the room stat are there any buttons?

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Probs just lack of instructions or Ma just forgot since then.

Customer:

Can you try the override button . does the heating come on?

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

I'll look...

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Green light on top, red on bottom. But no firing up of boiler. Does it take few moments?

Customer:

Can you turn the central heating temperature control knob to maximum?

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Thermo just says 'i'. Turning the dial makes no difference.

Customer:

Ok just checking the manual

Customer:

Cannot find that I anywhere in the manual. Can you turn off the power to the boiler at switch for 10 seconds then back on, please

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Ok did, that. What next please?

Customer:

Can you press override again, thanks

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Ok. (Forgive me, have to keep running upstairs!)

Customer:

I thought so ,lol

Customer:

Sorry ,didn't mean to laugh

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Ha ha! Did that, same thing, lights came on but no change to boiler!

Customer:

Ok . I am sorry to say that there is nothing more I can say except to get those rascals back round. It is a more complicated issue and nothing that can be solved without being tyhere an using a multimeter/electrical tester .I used to subcontract for them and some of them are a bunch of jokers ,not all though , most are pretty good .

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Just noticed three lights around the Temp LED on the boiler. The hot water one and the boiler one light ip when sticking hot taps on, but can't get the cenmtral heating one to light. Could the thermo be faulty?

Customer:

No , not on a new boiler. I am going to get you fit tonight , could please check the reading on the pressure gauge?

Customer:

Its on the right hand side of the panel. It should be at 1.2bar ish

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

It's about 1.2, well in the green.

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

About 1.2, well in the green.

Customer:

Ok . these boilers have to be set up properly , and I'm not sure your mums has.I'm sorry but you will need the boys in blue . how long ago was it installed?

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

Sorry, had to plug laptop in! Lol. About 3 months. Will do! Thanks!

Customer:

All the best .I prefer my tablet now , laptops re so slow

JACUSTOMER-4f6phg78- :

This one certainly is! Cheers. All the best.

Customer:

All the best to you too

Customer:

.