Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in plumbing heating and gas
77408428

My vokera mynute 30 he starts up for 5 minutes and then the

Customer Question

My vokera mynute 30 he starts up for 5 minutes and then the green light goes off but the boiler appears to stay on but the radiators are not heating. What might be the problem. The temp shows 69, no red light on. Appears to be working but green light gone off and radiators not heating.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Do you still have hot water? Are you using a wireless thermostat? If so is the battery icon blinking on the thermostat?

JACUSTOMER-lvx8pls0- : Mike, yes I still have hot water. I am not using a wireless thermostat. Noel.
canuck the pro :

I am so sorry I have to run out for an emergency. I will opt out and if no one has helped I will opt back in. Should only be an hour or so.

JACUSTOMER-lvx8pls0- : Sorry but I have to step out now also.
JACUSTOMER-lvx8pls0- : i will be back in touch in approx an hour, Noel.
JACUSTOMER-lvx8pls0- : feel free to progress my query in the mean time as I have provided a description of the problem. Thanks. Noel.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.

Hi. There are a few things it could be.i need to run through with you first

That worked out well then. I usually do not handle emergency calls but had a customer with a burst water line and they could not shut off the water. I could get there before my crew so had to rush out and shut the water off. My crew is onsite now. Whew! Typical Monday. I will continue to be opted out sinceCustomerwas kind enough to respond. If he cannot help I will keep an eye on it and opt back in to assist. Looks like no matter what we should have this worked out soon. Thank you so much for your patience! Mike
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like the boiler has reached temperature and turned off if the pump is still running (whether correct or not) acn you confirmt he water is still circulating (the pump is on)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Back and available for your response now. Noel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer received yet
As per my last, is the pump running continuously?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the pump continues, the green light goes off and the radiators stop heating.
It appears that the boiler knows the heating is on as the pump is running, so that rules out an external control issue.
Your boiler temperature is controlled by a thermistor to regulate the temperature of the circulating water. As you have no fault codes or flashing red lights I assume the boiler is doing as it has been told by the thermistor.
This is the first part I would change at about £20
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying that the thermistor is faulty? Noel.
Yes, it is basically a thermal resistor and as the temperature changes so does the resistance of it.
The boiler knows how hot the water is by measuring the resistance of the circuit with the thermistor in.
If the boiler is behaving 'normally' but the temperatures are wrong then this is the part I would replace. It is either this or the PCB that it talks to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Andrew, I'm not sure that this is the answer. I have just now turned on the system. Our upstairs and downstairs are on separate switches.

This time I have turned on the water and both upstairs and downstairs. The system has stayed on but the downstairs radiators are not heating. However the upstairs radiators are very warm.

Ok, not a general temperature fault then.
Can you tell me if the thermostats control a motorised valve each?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Each radiator has an individual thermostat (Terrier).

We do not have a central thermostat that controls all the radiators.

Hi . Is your hot water working.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Hi , so the boiler heats up hot water via a hot water tank? And this is unaffected?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, thats correct, the hot water and the radiators which are upstairs are unaffected.

Hi. Can you confirm it is not a Combi boiler buy a pressurised system boiler ,please and that you have a separate ho water tank?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a Vokera Mynute 30 HE. I don't think it is a combo boiler.

The boiler supplies heated water to the radiators and our hot water tank.

The radiators are split into upstairs and downstairs and have separate controls. Just downstairs radiators are not working.

So is it just the downstairs radiators that are not working? Can you check what pressure you havecatvthe boiler please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thats correct, and I have bled each of the downstairs radiators. I restarted the heating but they are still not heating.

Ok . it sounds like you have an airlock or blockage somewhere in the pipework . do you have any manual bleed valves anywhere on the pipework , maybe next to the hotvwater cylinder?

Thermostatic rad valves can stick as well especially as they are off for a long period over summer. Take the head off ,it just unscrews and push down on the pin .if the pin is stuk down .then the valve can be tapped with a spanner to free the pin.

So I have given you the two things that I think is most likely your problem .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have bled each of the radiators.

I have also just checked the TRVs and none of the Pins are stuck down.

Hi . you say upstairs have separate controls. What controls do they have?
I am assuming that they must be separated critter by having seperate motorised valves or pumps ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, when I'm turning on the heating I can decide whether I want to turn on the downstairs, upstairs or both.

They share the same boiler and pump but if I don't switch on the upstairs radiators they don't come on.

How you actually do that? Though. Do you have a programmer with two zonbes?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a heating controller with 3 switches.

One for upstairs, one for downstairs and one for water.

These can be controller by a timer or manually.

The heating is split into two zones, up and down.

Ok , that controller must either open a valve or in a pump to run the hot boiler water to the downstairs radiators.

you may have these

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thats right. I can't see the full image but there are 3 F222h devices supplied by Heat Merchants attached to the pipe work in the hot press.

Ok. One will be for hot water, one for upstairs and one will be for downstairs . run hot water , and heating upstairs and downstairs . feel the pipes after the valve and see what one isn't getting hot , this will be the downstairs .then let me know , thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help so far.

But due to the lack of significant progress over the last few days I called out a plumber this morning and the problem is fixed now.

Thanks but we could not go into the week-end without getting the problem fixed.

Hi . I am sorry you have had to call a plumber, we were so close to getting to the bottom of it . I think you will find it may be the motorised valve . anyway , all the best

If you still have any questions then feel free to go ahead and ask

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your welcome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't want to rate the service.

It took too long to get to the bottom of the issue and by then I needed to call a plumber due to the urgency of the issue.

The problem was fixed by the time you got close to the answer.

Noel.

Hi . did you get the problem sorted out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes,

Noel.

That's fine , Noel , if you don't want to rate the service then you don't have to
If you are still getting asked to rate ask customer services to close the question
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please close the question.

Noel.

I can't do it Noel .it has to come from you .tell you what just rate me poor and that will be the end of it