Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I am installing a Worcester Greenstar 30Si Compact combi boiler

I am installing a Worcester Greenstar 30Si Compact combi boiler with a Worcester FR10 Intelligent Room Thermostat. there are two terminals on the room stat. both marked B. On the EMS terminal of the boiler the terminals are marked 1 and 2. I am assuming that the stat terminals both being marked the same it doesn't matter which way round they are connected to the boiler, but your advice would be gratefully appreciated please. regards, Greg
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Just checking, be right back

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I can't see the answer but the e-mail says you have sent an answer

Dales-Electronic :

OK you should have three connectors on the stat, a neutral and a pair that switch the live could you just check this for me, the Greenstar shows this but I cannot see on the stat the neutral connection.

Customer:

the stat only has two connectors, both marked B. when the face plate is put on a pair of "pikes" on the back of the face plate align with the two connectors.

Dales-Electronic :

OK but are you using it with a MT10 or DT20?

Customer:

A DT20

Dales-Electronic :

Is it the DT20rf?

Customer:

can't find any reference to rf - the part number is ***** 192 038

Customer:

any luck please mate - I've just about done the rest of the electrical connections

Dales-Electronic :

OK let me have a look be right back

Dales-Electronic :

Ok I guess the answer I give you will not be of much help, the only information that I can get about this connection is that it should have a special bus cable that connects up to a connection box. You then feed the boiler from this connection block. Has the FR10 got an integral battery or not?

Dales-Electronic :

The question that I am unable to get the answer to is ~ is the FR10 designed to be used with 220/240 volts ac or the newer 24v system. Obviously if you try and put 240v through a 24v system something is going to get destroyed.

Customer:

Technical spec for the FR10 - 10........24 V DC, controller output is 2-wire BUS. Information note in the installation book says "the FR10 can only be connected to a boiler with BUS-enabled Heatronic 3".

Dales-Electronic :

yes I read that too but if you look at the Heatronic 3 it then refers to bus cabling and further on about a bus connector module. My concern is that if you connect terminals 1 & 2 to the FR10 and the switched output of the boiler are 240 then you will bugger up the FR10 hence my worry. I can find out for you tomorrow when I get to work but currently I think we are just going around in circles.

Customer:

ok mate, I really appreciate your help. I'll catch up tomorrow when I get in from work. If this can't be resolved easily then I'll fire the system up without the room stat connected - the system will work without it, just get better sensitivity with a stat. Regards, Greg

Dales-Electronic :

Leave it with me Greg, I will get an answer for you, its typical of these companies, always leave the final piece of the jigsaw out but the most crucial piece. I'll be back on about 6pm so ping me and i'll have you an answer ~ Ian

Customer:

Thanks Ian. Catch up tomorrow

Dales-Electronic :

I'll be here

Dales-Electronic :

OK having spoken to Worcester the connections are as you thought, 1 & 2 on boiler to BB on FR10 ~ that was like watching paint dry with them. However, you should be good to go now # ***** you now kindly rate my information to you using the smiley faces below. Have fun and be warm !!

Customer:

Thanks Ian. I assume that it doesn't matter which of the two B's on the stat are connected to 1 and 2 at the boiler?

Dales-Electronic :

Nope guy seemed bemused that I asked, but as I said it is not clear in either the installation handbook or other information and I've been a sparky for 25 years!! If you could now rate the service given and I can close this job down you can come back to me later for further advice once this is done _ Ian

Customer:

Thanks mate, appreciate all your help - rating now.

Dales-Electronic, HVAC Technician
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.