Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Having a problem repressurising my boiler after bleeding r

Having a problem repressurising my boiler after bleeding radiators.

Filling loop is connected but there are no taps (they must have come off in the past) and when i try to turn with a screwdriver, water squirts out

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Can you give me your manufacturer and model number and I'll advise you how to do this ~
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its a Ideal Isar , doesn't have a number on that i can see

OK when you say the water spurts out, from where does it spurt?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK are you saying it leaks from the point where the armoured flexible connects to the in line shut off valve?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, so the loop is always connected, has been since i moved in to the property, but on the metal pipes above the loop there are not taps handles to turn, just this screw hole. I assumed this was what needed to be turned, as the handles had just come off, but when i turn even a tiny bit with a screwdriver water leaks out. heres a pic of the whole loop..

OK get you, does it leak out at the point where the screwdriver fits into the slot or from the filling loop itself, or where it connects to the loop. Nothing has broken off there it is the way that the later valves were designed to stop children switching the taps on/off

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh ok, leaks straight out the screw hole. just dribbles at first then if you turn a bit further squirts out a lot

OK well lets deal with the first problem which is to get your pressure back up to 1 bar or greater, get a couple of bowls or buckets underneath the filling tube and shut off valves and switch them both on until you get to between 1 ~ 1.6 bar. Once there shut off both valves and mop up. You can now use the boiler. However what you will have to do in the new year is to get the shut off taps replaced. There are o rings inside the shut off valve that overtime leak and cause water to come out of the screwhole. There is no repair, just replacement. For now however, once you have got the pressure within the set limits you boiler will work correctly. Would you now rate my service, once done you can come back to me for further advice at no extra cost ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do i do this with the boiler switched off completely...or if its off will the pressue gauge not go up? thanks

No the pressure gauge is measuring the pressure within the system. If you switch the electric off to the boiler this will be safer but you might have to reset the programmer. As long as the central heating is not on it shouldn't be a problem, you are just topping up the water pressure not running it dry ~ Ian
Dales-Electronic, HVAC Technician
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.