Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in plumbing heating and gas
77408428

I have gas central heating which is only c. 5 years old. I

Customer Question

I have gas central heating which is only c. 5 years old. I have a Valliant boiler. The problem I have is black marks up the wall to the ceiling over the radiators. My pictures, windows and wood when I clean them are black. I have raised this problem with the heating engineers but none are able to give me a definitive explanation. Some have mentioned dust (which I have tried to remove), carpet, candles, paper - all clutching at straws. Other friends who have this system do not have this problem, and they too burn candles. I would appreciate if you can throw some light on this problem before I decorate again. I emulsioned the room in October, and it has returned again, I do not want to spend more money on decorating without know if the problem can be fixed.
With thanks for your help.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Customer:

Hi .do you have a real fire in your house that could be giving off soot?

JACUSTOMER-4i7uczgw- : No
Customer:

Any smokers in the house?

JACUSTOMER-4i7uczgw- : No smokers.
Customer:

Hi , it will be dust that circulates and then rises with the heat of the radiator. If you have your heating on constantly without windows open this can cause it too. It shouldn't be a concern . the only concern would be if it was soot from the boiler due to incomplete combustion . I'm sure the gas service guy checked for this , but you could always buy a carbon monoxide alarm for safety / peace of mind

JACUSTOMER-4i7uczgw- : Nothing new in your reply therefore I am no further forward
Customer:

I don't know what are you expecting . do you have your heating on constantly without windows open?

JACUSTOMER-4i7uczgw- : No. I will just have to live with it.
Customer:

I have seen it many times . it is usually in homes where the heating is on nearly all the time and it is both ng too worry about . the only solution that I can think of that might help is to fit radiator covers which would disperse the hot air in front more and stop it running straight up the back wall . good luck , all the best with it

Customer:

Thanks . I only tried to help you . is that bad?. Maybe you wanted to hear something bad, but there is nothing wrong