Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in plumbing heating and gas
77408428

There I've just got back off holiday & heating/ water

hi there
I've just got back off holiday & heating/ water was switched off during that period at the thermostat control panel in the house.
I switched the controls on for both water & heating on Sunday afternoon & the boiler came on & heating/ water was working.
Later on that evening I switched the heating control on the thermostat to off as the house had warmed up enough. The water was left on until late that night then switched to auto ready for the morning.
Yesterday morning I had a shower early & there was hot water but when other family members went for a shower the water was Luke warm & then cold.
last night I tried on numerous occassions to re-ignite the boiler as the flame was not showing without success.
I tried the re-ignite sequence last night & again this morning without success - can you suggest anything else?
Thanks Richard
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi , can you tell me the make and model of your boiler ,please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ideal Classic LXFF & FF Fanned Flue Gas Bioler
Hi , your boiler has a push in to reset over heat safety stat . can you push this in , if you haven't already , thanks .
Look for a brown/red raised round button .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
There is no button visible on the boiler control panel, am I looking in the right place? Where should this be?
Hi it is to the right hand side of the bottom control box, to the right hand side of the power switch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry still can't see one!
I've taken the switch box & unscrewed it but still cannot see a button?
It may not look like a typical button but a raised round button. Do you have the boiler manual?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no sorry have not got the manual!
OK ,if you Google ideal lxff boiler manual, you will find the manual on the first link, download it and on page 28 picture 56, it will show you a picture of where it is
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok got that but the button does not seem to move - should it? There is a nut around it should I unscrew it?
OK , it may be that the button hasn't popped out. This was to check the overheat stat hadn't tripped, this would stop the boiler firing up or being lit . give it a push hard in , don't unscrew the nut. If it doesn't push in then it hasn't tripped and it will be another issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the button does not move so does not look to be that - what sequence should I use to try to re-start - I'm following what it says on the boiler panel!
Hi , the boiler has electronic ignition . this means it only fires up when a demand from the controls is received( from prog to room stat to boiler or from prog to cylinder stat to boiler. The boiler will then run the fan , the fans running is sensed by the air pressure switch,which then tells the boiler to fire. Can you hear the boiler fan running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok - When I press the boiler on/off switch there is a click but then only a murmour sound, definitely no fan noise!

OK , it sounds like the fan has gone and needs replacing , if you have a voltage tester or electrical multi Meter you could confirm this by seeing if it has any voltage , if you don't then I would replace the fan, if there wasn't voltage to the fan then it could be the PCB at fault

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that something that I could do? Is it in the manual? Where would I get one from?
Hi , a boiler parts shop would have one. I can only say that it's fairly easy unless the four screws are completely stuck. Its shown how to replace in the manual. Are you based in London?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I'm not, Based in Lichfield Staffs....
Thanks for all your help...

OK , no probs was going to recommend a good place that does reconditioned parts for half the price but you have to take the old one in . If you can get hold of a voltage tester though ( can get them for less than ten pounds) just to confirm you have power going to the fan and its not running, with a voltage tester you only need to touch it to the wires and it lights up if electricity is running through . if not you could just get a new one .