Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in plumbing heating and gas
77408428

There...I have an Ideal Classic LXFF & FF 270. I frequently

Customer Question

Hi there...I have an Ideal Classic LXFF & FF 270. I frequently have to press the reset button to get the boiler to work...i.e. if I go to bed and leave the thermostat set to 20 degrees the boiler will not come on in the morning unless I have pressed the reset button before I go to bed. And regularly enough, we may be in the house and the house goes cold, the heat it turned on with the thermostat set to 20 degrees, but the boiler won;t kick in until the reset button is depressed. Have you seen/heard of this issue before or do you know what could be causing this? thanks for your help, Paul
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
btw - if it makes it easier to talk through this I'm working from home today so no problem to take a call...my mobile number is ***** 109079
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,the boiler will normally lock out on overheat. It could be there is a lot air in the system or the pump is failing. Bleed all the rads and any manual air bleed valves in the hot water cylinder cupboard. Feel the pump,is the face of it red hot? This would indicate a pump seizure . But could also be a fan/air pressures switch fault .Does the heating get very hot before locking out,this could indicate a faulty temperature stat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. I was aware that the reason the pump needs to be 'reset' is because of overheating - however the pump has recently been replaced by a plumber (as he thought this may have been part of the issue) - so we've a new pump. Also, had all the radiators bled recently by a plumber also..and the fan in the boiler has also be 'serviced' to ensure it's in proper working order...and am almost sure the first guy also replaced the temperature stat when he replaced the pump. I've not seen any manual air bleeds in the cupboard...and the system does get airlock regularly enough (to the point where one radiator in the kitchen is almost always cold)...
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for that. Its worth double chec king that te plumber replaced the temp sensor in the boiler , as if its allowing the water temp to get to high it will eventually lock out
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi there - sorry it took a while to confirm...the temp stat was definitely replaced. Tonight I bled two radiators that were cold and turned the heat back on again. I bled the radiators from the water valve at the bottom i.e. emptied out the radiator, (air came out of each) the topped up the pressure again, then went on to next radiator and did the same before turning back on the heating. However, now the heat has cut out completely and the front panel of the boiler is extremely hot to touch. Do you think this is perhaps an issue with the fan in the boiler?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 12 months ago.
Hi ,I would take the boiler cover off. You will then be able to see andhear if the fan is running and also if the boiler sparks and attempts to light. This is ok to do temporarily.. if there was a lot of air in the system the pump may have seized, even if new