Jerry
Jerry, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Epa universal certification, hearth products specialized.
34748161

I changed the control valve and pilot assembly complete on

Customer Question

I changed the control valve and pilot assembly complete on my Valor direct vent natural gas fireplace. I can light the standing pilot and the burner works until I replace the window. then the flame dies on pilot and burner. it is a radiant unit and does not have a fan or external thermostat. the remote uses 4 AAA batteries.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Can you describe for me how the fireplace is vented? More info is better than less. Can you give me a history of operation? Does the vent pipe go directly out the back, or does it go up and out, or does it go up through the roof?This does sound like a starvation of combustion air problem. There are several factors that can contribute to this symptom. 1. Improper vent installation or configuration. (Possible if this is a new installation)2. Venting components have lost their seal between exhaust and fresh air ducting (possible if older that 10 years) The silicone can burn out between joint of vent pipe.3. Blocked vent. (birds nest, ice or snow cover etc.)4. Long tall vent that is too cold to produce sufficient thermo siphon action ( this sometimes can be resolved by running the stove for a few minutes while closing the glass and opening the glass before the flame dies out. Let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks for using Just Answer!