Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have water above and around the header tank in the loft,

Customer Question

i have water above and around the header tank in the loft, the property is left employ with the heating on and there has been sufficient water to stain the ceiling below. i have checked the roof and there is no obvious leak. the water in the header tank is warm. could the heating cause a sudden "blow back of hot water through the header tank or vent pipe which might cause this water? if so, what might cause it and is it something that needs a repair or perhaps a "one off" due to the property being un occupied?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 10 months ago.
If unit has been off you should have a maintenance performed on the boiler before using. It is possible the water came from the overflow or vent as water was heated and expanded.Boilers should really be inspected annually though to make sure they are operating safely . The tank should have a bleed valve to prevent the relief valve from blowing of water, but this should be done by a professional.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
THE HEATER HAS NOT BEEN OFF, BUT RUNNING ON LOW TO KEEP THE PROPERTY FROM DAMAGE DUE TO COLD WEATHER ETC. IF THE "BLOW BACK OCCURRED, WHAT MAY BE THE CAUSE OF THIS AND IS IT AN ISOLATED INCIDENT?. I AM LOOKING TO HAVE THE SERVICE CARRIED OUT, BUT DONT WANT TO REPAINT THE CEILING JUST INCASE IT HAPPENS AGAIN.
Were there any tale tale signs of the source such as a sudden once burst of water or drip from a fitting or valve? Also any condensation on any horizontal piping? I have often see a no insulated pipe sweat and drip on ceiling.
I would , like you, wait until it has been serviced before repainting just to make sure.If there is an air pocket it could burp as that pocket enters the tank and discharge water again.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
AN AREA ABOVE AND AROUND THE HEADER TANK APPROX. 4FT DIAMETER IS WET, LOOTS LIKE THE PATTEN YOU MIGHT GET IF STEAM WAS VENTING FROM THE OVERFLOW PIPE. NO WATER ON THE PIPE, NOT SURE HOW LONG AGO IT HAPPENED, I WAS ASKED TO TAKE A LOOK FOR THE LADY WHILST SHE IS IN HOSPITAL. THOUGHT INITIALLY THE ROOF WAS LEAKING, BUT LOOKS OK AND THE WATER IS ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE FELT AND DRIPPING ONTO THE INSULATION AND THROUGH THE FLOOR, SO A FAIRLY LARGE AMOUNT OF WATER. THE WATER STAIN ON THE CEILING IS BROWN AND THE ROOF FELT IS DAMP AND DRIPS WHEN TOUCHED.
Was looking for this video to share with you.Hopefully may provide some more insight about why it needs to be bled.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpLJYCMCgGk
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a vented system, the video suggests its unvented, if so not relevant.
Yours is vented,The video is just an idea of how the tank fills with air and water causing the purge.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, thanks
No problem,Hope you the best with getting this serviced and issue solved.