Jerry
Jerry, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Epa universal certification, hearth products specialized.
34748161

Central heating pump leaking from inside of pump into control

Customer Question

Central heating pump leaking from inside of pump into control box tripping out power. Pump has been changed a few times now and problem keeps coming back.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 7 months ago.
Can you provide model on heat pump that is leaking and do you have any photos to help me see where water is leaking?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I disconnect the power to the pump it dose not trip. Wilo pumps
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I am located in the UK - are you referring to the electric box on top of the pump or in the central heating system itself? ie is the pump separate to the boiler or part of the boiler?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Control box on pump. Pump is on pipe coming out of boiler. There is a nrv above the pump also.
Can you see where the leak is coming from?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It leaking into control box from the pump itself internally. I need to no why it keeps doing the same thing on all the pumps. Would a faulty nrv be causing to much pressure in the pump housing causing the problem to keep happening.
How long have the pumps lasted on average? Secondly have they all been Wilo pumps?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pumps last a few months. I have tried a few different ones same thing happened.
Is the nrv in the flow or return line?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Directly above pump in flow line.
In answer to your question, yes if it is in the flow line then a pressure buld-up if it were jammed or partially jamed would cause the pressure in the pump to increase to the point of splitting the seal and causing a leak.