Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

This is a heat pump problem. I have a three-phase heat pump.

Customer Question

This is a heat pump problem.
I have a three-phase heat pump. We had a lightning strike the main power to the site. I think all active components have now been replaced. The control panels works, the fan comes on. After a shprt while the main contacter kicks in and the compressor starts.
However, the compressor heats up but no heat is transfered to the heat exchanger. And as a result the compressor cuts out.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 10 months ago.

What is model on the heat pump?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Its a Hayward ENP5T

Do you have gauges to check refrigerant pressures to verify compressor is actually pumping?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No

Either compressor is not pumping the refrigerant or there is something preventing flow of refrigerant from making it's cycle

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The compressor actually starts. It gets hot enough to get the over-temperature sensor to cut it off. However there is no heat transfer to the heat exchanger. Two questions. Is the refrigerant pumped, as there does not seem to be a pump. Is there likely to be a motorised valve or solenoid that should allow the refrigerant to flow?

Compressor pumps the refrigerant to the exchanger and back .Each time refrigerant goes across exchanger, heat is removed and heats the water then it returns to compressor and starts over. Sounds like something is not opening to allow the refrigerant to flow, so cutting off on high head pressure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The compressor actually starts. It gets hot enough to get the over-temperature sensor to cut it off. However there is no heat transfer to the heat exchanger. Two questions. Is the refrigerant pumped, as there does not seem to be a pump. Is there likely to be a motorised valve or solenoid that should allow the refrigerant to flow?Is it possible that there has been a loss of refrigerant?

.The compressor is the pump. It compresses refrigerant and pumps it to the exchanger and back.

2.Looking at the manual on the unit,. it does appear to have an electronic expansion valve

The expansion valve is what opens and closes to meter the amount of refrigerant to the exchanger .If that expansion valve does not open, refrigerant can not get though to exchanger.

3. If board or expansion valve either one was damaged could be the issue. Have you replaced the board already?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The board has been replaced. I have seen what appears to be a pressure release valve, and there is a solenoid on the pipework from the compressor to the heat exchanger. The solenoid operates immediately the heat pump unit is powered up. Does the manual have real schematics and diagrams, becuase all I have been able to get is an outline schematic where the main board is shown as a black box, and no other pictures.

I think I would obtain gauges so you can see what is going on.

As for manual I am sending a link to what I have.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h4dcodek9kshu46/Hayward_energyline_pro_%282%29.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. I am going back to the site Monday morning for another look, armed with the manual. Is it OK to add more info next week?

Absolutely. After rating we can work on this for 30 days.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thought yu might like to know, the problem is resolved with the help of the manual you found. The problem was the three-phases had changed. I reversed two of the phases and its all fine. Now I can only assume that the order of the phases had been changed by the electricity supply company after the lightning strike. The compressor sounded like it was working (previously), but just getting hot and not heat circulating. Anyway, thanks again.

THanks for the update. You are correct about the power company. I have heard of this creating an issue even with single phase equipment when they replace transformers.

Your compressor was actually pumping backwards