Jerry
Jerry, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Epa universal certification, hearth products specialized.
34748161

My potterton promax boiler keeps tripping and the red button

Customer Question

my potterton promax boiler keeps tripping and the red button coming on. This only happens when my central heating is on as it works fine on hot water only. Why is this happening.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

If the boiler is tripping its most likely a fault sensor, there two circuits in the boiler one for CH the other the HW.

The heat exchange, multi port valve or temp sensor may well be faulty resulting in a short and tripping the boiler.

Since your not presented with an error code, its difficult too identify the fault, however this will require a boiler engineer to attend and strip down the components and test individually.

The fact its not affecting combustion, would suggest to me its a rather inexpensive part such as a sensor rather than a control board or heat exchanger which would have cost 100s.

If you would like me to recommend an engineer in your area, please provide your postcode.

J