indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Work on all import vehicles
29331485

03 accent 1500 diesel 3 cylinder not idle are start with key,

Customer Question

03 accent 1500 diesel 3 cylinder not idle are start with key, start with a tow and runs ok . replaced injecters and pump change fuel and filter. have check belt timing ok
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.

If you can only start with a tow start, then this could be one the following issue .

Slow turning starter motor .
Weak battery .
Low compression .
Glow plugs system not working .

First start with the starter motor does it turn the engine fast .

If it does then next check the glow plugs ,when you turn the ignition switch to the ON postion does the glow plugs get power ,check with a test light should turn on for 10 - 15 seconds depending on the temp of the engine .

Then check the engins compression if to low the engine has to turn fast ,like getting a tow start to get the engine running .

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me .

Please rate my help a 3 to 5. " If you are not satisfied please don't rate."
We can continue to work or I can opt out .
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting .
If I don't reply soon I will as quick as I can as we may be on different time zones

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I want to know why the car won't idle.it won't idle below 950 rpm. The car start in very short space. what is the car looking for to idle. Change the battle too.
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.

Irlam do a compression test, as this will give you a bad idle or none under 1000rpm .

How many miles do you have on this engine .

Has any work been done on the engine before you had this issue .

Was the items checked and tested what i suggested above .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

compression all 3 reading around 10.5 bar .

79k miles on the car.check injectors coils all at .5 , removed rocker cover to check rocker arms

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Irlam

10.5 bar is very low for a diesel engine, you should have a Min of 16bar. and normal is 23bar.
A normal petrol car will have 12bar .

Diesel engines need high compression to produces friction and heat to be able to run correctly .

Looks like you need a ring job on this engine Irlam.

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

with the battery low the compression may be low , compression tester was a hand one and dont seal the best, we run the test 2 times and got the same results,

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Irlam .

Try with a fully charged battery ,this is important .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tested compression again up little more. i can under stand low compression 1 are2 cylinders but all the same. this car was driving and would idle up to this. is the cam pick up point at the top at tdc . can the pin are key brack in the cam wheel. the belt would be timed ok to each wheel. is the car looking for anything when in idle. how far can the cam belt be out .when car is running it drives ok

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Irlam .

Yes all it takes if for the T belt to be off one tooth and you would have this problem .
check the timing belt is still on mark .

Greg