Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi I have owned a 2000 Accent 1.3 petrol for about 3 years.

Customer Question

Hi I have owned a 2000 Accent 1.3 petrol for about 3 years. All the time I've had it it's had an intermittent starting problem. It would happen a couple of times every 5 months or so, but recently it's been happening once or twice a week for about 3 weeks. The engine turns at usual speed, but doesn't fire. Usually after long 3 attempts it will go, but occasionally I'll have to bump start it (it always bumps starts.) I had to call the AA once when it just wouldn't go and I wasn't is a position to bump it. The AA chap came 1/2 an hour later, turned the key and it fired immediately. I changed the battery about a year ago, the plugs last november, and the HT leads a couple of weeks ago. I'm not flooding the engine as the car always starts without any throttle. Neither does it start if I do try a bit of throttle.

Also, the problem has been more likely when the engine is warm/recently run, although recently it happens from cold too.

Any ideas?! Thanks JS

Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello JS,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi can wait a day or two.

Jim Streets

Hello Jim,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Hard start only when HOT or anytime .

Is the check engine light on when the engine is running.

Have you checked for malfunction codes .

When you have a no start issue did you check to see if you have spark at the spark plugs ??

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg

Used to be only when hot, but now can be from cold too.

Haven't been able to check for spark at plugs unfortunately. Is there any easy way to do that without tools to hand?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Here is a link that shows you how to test for spark with just a screwdriver .

Please click here

Is the check engine light ON when the engine is running .

Did the AA man check for malfunction codes .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Greg, only answered half your questions! There's never been an engine check light come on for this problem and the AA bloke didn't test. I know the light works as it used to come on for a MAF sensor problem I once had. Will do the spark test if I can next time it happens.

Cheers

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.

Any chance you can get the codes read before the battery is flat oer removed
otherwise the stored codes will get lost .

And do the spark test when you can.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will there be any code if there the check light hasn't come on?

One came on 6 months ago when it lapsed onto two cylinders during a journey (a problem that happened once and has never returned.) I got the code checked then and the reading told me two cylinders had gone down (which I knew already) - can't remember which ones. There was no other code that came up at the time.

It'll cost me about £40 for another code reading, so would rather not!

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

£40. for a readout ,

Go to Halfords and you can get a code reader for £40 and read the codes yourself .
or order one on ebay .with this you can check your or anyother car in the future .

Even though the check engine light is not on you may still have a code .

Lets vsee if you have a spark first .

Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg

Halfords seem to have stopped doing code readers. I've checked everywhere I can find on the internet and none of them guarantee being compatible with pre-2001 cars. I've asked Hyundai to recommend me one but they can't!

I've tried the spark plug test, but every time I've tried it (4 times on two occasions) the car has fired up, even on 3 cylinders. Will keep trying when the fault reappears - it went away for about 10 days though.

I've bought a new ignition coil and fitted it, and the fault returned despite that.

Cheers

Jim

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jim here is a good link for you to get a good code reader .

Looks like you like repairing your own car so this will be the most important tool you will ever have , even if you don't repair your own car to have this tool will help you know what your problem is before sending in your car to the repair shop ,(no rip off from the repair shop )

Please click here for the code reader .

Not only is this a code reader its a scan tool that can read live date ,fuel trim O2 sensors and will work on your car , also all your friends and family cars after the build date 1996 .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you sure? It says 2001+ in the description.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
I'll get back to you i just contacted the scan tool Dealer for you .

Regards Greg.