indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Work on all import vehicles
29331485

car over heating

Customer Question

how do I remove the radiator cap for a 2002 1.6 Hyundai coupe

Category: Hyundai
Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

This looks like you have a coolant leak , just filling the overflow bottle will not fill the system ,this is why you overheated the engine , i hope you stopped in time as this could blow the headgasket .

To remove the radiator cap turn to the left as you did then press down on the cap and turn anticlockwise again ,remove the cap and fill with coolant then start engine with the cap off ,
The coolant should then drop lower and with the engine running top off with coolant wait one minute then switch off the engine (make sure the heater is on HOT)
the coolant level will then drop again when the engine is off top up and replace the cap
press down and turn clockwise .

Start the engine and let idle for a while and check for leaks ,if you see it coming from the front end of the engine you may have a water pump leakage issue .
Check the radiator hoses and heater core hoses .

Need further assistance then please get back to me with the reply box and not the poor or bad service button .

Rgds Greg