Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a leak in my brake system (I think its either the hose

Customer Question

I have a leak in my brake system (I think it's either the hose or pipe). My car is an Accent 1996 automatic. Could you tell me approximately how much it would cost to repair? Is it more economical to just buy a new car?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Where exactly is the fluid leak coming from? On the front as the solid pipe changes to flexi for the front calipers? or leaking along under neath? or at the back brakes for example etc..

Have you spent alot on the car itself upto now? when was it mot'd last or due?

How many miles does it have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's leaking at the back of the car. MOT due in August. The car has done 61,000 miles and presently only does about 3,000 miles per year.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..if its from the back then it more than likely it could be brake line or leaking from one of the unions/connections..not uncommon at all and happens to a lot of vehicles over time..if from one the actual wheels behind the backing plate then it could be a faulty or more or less a fault wheel cylinder in which will need replaced along new shoes on the rear for both sides as brake fluid can effect these..if its just a pipe then it not an expansive job as you just need to get the old off and new line made up with the correct unions and refit aswell as bleed the system of course..a flexi line is exactly the same however these come ready made for fitting usually no more then £10 in some cases and about a hour max for fitting..obviously if its brake cylinder then you would be looking at a little more expense and time..because garages across the uk tend to have different labor rates then it can be quite difficult to give an exact price.but if its just a line then I doubt anymore then £20-£30 / cylinder/shoes/pads which ever on the back..cant see it being any more then £50-£60 as a rough idea..Also if your mot is in august this year then they will pick up on that- although you shouldnt be really driving the car with braking defect like that - as eventually you will loose all fluid and pressure - so I would advise if you intend to keep the car is have that seen too "the leak asap" or bring the mot date forward or have it pre-mot checked so you'll know what to expect and wither its worth spending money on it if anything else is found -it really entirely your choice and wither maybe finding another car would be better option or do up the one you have,fresh MOT and use that as a trade in so to speak..i do hope this helps

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
Hi.there..

This is just a short message to let you know that your question you posted recently has been "answered"..

If you need to follow up or ask anything else before you positively rate your answer? then you are always more than welcome too and continue on the same question should you need to ask anything else...

Let me know,:)

Regards[Robert]