Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi I have a hyundai getz 1.1 2004. it had had a new cam belt

Customer Question

Hi I have a hyundai getz 1.1 2004. it had had a new cam belt as it was missfiring then it needed a cam belt sensor and back end of the exhaust. it ran very well for a week then lost power. it hardly accelerates at all. sometimes it struggles to move from standing especially on a hill but not solely. there is no engine light on and our mechanic is clueless. really fed up with it now. Any clues?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
When the belt was replaced did the mechanic say if the vehicle had jumped time to make the vehicle mis-fire?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No he didnt say that. Is that significant?

When the engine was mis-firing due to the cam belt needing replacing this indicates that the cam belt had changed positions. From the description of the issue you are having one of two things are going on. Either the cam belt jumped originally and this caused a valve to bend or not seat properly or after the installation of the new belt it has now jumped out of position. What I would suggest as a first step is to have a cylinder leak down and a compression test performed. If the cylinder leak down test shows a cylinder leaking down your have a valve issue,if one of the cylinders shows low compression you have a timing issue and the belt needs to be rechecked.