Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a power steering leak. The system has run dry. Can I

Customer Question

I have a power steering leak. The system has run dry. Can I disable the power steering until I can get it fixed? I have a Hyundia Getz 1.1 SP58YVX
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

How bad is the leak and do you know where roughly is leaking from on the system?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do not know where leak is. Can I disable the power steering?

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

You could in sense disable the pump from operating - if you have the hydraulic operated system on this then you maybe able to remove the power steering belt..from what i recall that the other accessories have there own belt the power steering pump has its own belt run from the crank pulley the power steering belt will be the inner belt or closer to the engine..so you maybe able to remove that and stop the pump from running dry due to the loss of fluid..thus the steering will be heavier to operate though..one other option depending how large the leak is and where its leaking from - you can keep it topped up until such time you get it seen too this will also at the same time highlight exactly where the fluids coming out from and see if its currently fixable - also too there a few products out there on the market that can help plug leaks on the power steering depending again how large the leak is and where its leaking from - halfords may sell such additives called Power Steering Stop Leak and this is added to the fluid in there and see if that helps buy time until its properly seen too etc.. I do hope this helps