Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My 2000 Hyundai Coupe SE, if I go to the car it will start

Customer Question

My 2000 Hyundai Coupe SE, if I go to the car it will start straight away, if I run the engine for 30 seconds or 3 hours, it will run fine, but once I switch it off it will not start. If I leave it for a few hours it will start first time. can you advise me on what the problem maybe. Fred
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
When the engine does not start does it spin over?
Any warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The engine turns over as normal but does not fire, there are no warning lights, when the engine runs it is good, no water or oil leaks.

Ok from what you are describing this is one of two issues. The first would be the crankshaft position sensor which is very common on these vehicles and results in these symptoms, this sensor rarely sets a code. Second would be the fuel pump electrically shorting and shutting down and not starting again until it cools down. Both of these are common failures over time.
Let me know if you need further assistance,thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am out of town for the weekend, I will check your solutions out on monday and let you know how I get on, best regards and thanls for the info. Fred Farnworth

No problem,thank you. Also you can respond back to this question at anytime after rating positive and I will continue to help you if you need it. Thanks again.