Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi ..whilst driving my hyundai Amica 2001 cuts out and I have

Customer Question

Hi ..whilst driving my hyundai Amica 2001 cuts out and I have to switch everything off and restart engine to get driving again. When it cuts out the lights on the dash is still on and the car continues moving in a rolling movement and I have to put my foot on the brakes to stop it moving. I'm glad the brakes work. Any help Please?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

What engine size do you have?

What mileage does it have?

Did the mechanic who did the test give any indication as to what "fault code" they got and or what sensor they cleaned?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

the engine size is 999

and the mileage is around 74000

sorry i dont remember the name of the sensor ..all i remember is that he said there was a sensor that was dirty and he cleaned it. And charged me £25

the car had been driving fine for 10 months and then it just started. it would happen at very random times.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..It is fairly possible in regards to the sensor that would of been cleaned as potentially gone faulty in it self..proper diagnostic testing first would verify that for you before you shell out any money on a new sensor - that would be the best way forward really.....a few sensors can cause this from faulty crank "most likely" or cam sensor loosing signal and thus engine cuts out or dirty throttle body which can be cleaned too..but as above maybe try the diagnostic test first - crank sensor and or have the ecu scanned first as mentioned during when the fault manifests itself even if it means having the car driven whilst plugged in to see if the fault can be picked up during live monitoring..I do hope this helps