Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Recently my i30 estate has developed an intermittent problem

Customer Question

Recently my i30 estate has developed an intermittent problem that if you accelerate quickly, as in third gear, the car appears to enter some form of rev limited mode, with a loss of power/dull response around the 3000 rpm. The only way that you can clear the problem, is to stop the car, and restart it, not completely proven it, but the problem doesn't appear to manifest itself if you disable the ESP mode. The car has now twice been in to the main dealership, and has been check, including a diagnostic check, but the garage cannot find anything to suggest what is causing this rather unnerving problem, any thoughts? The car is an 11 plate.

Update: 05/12/2013 - On the way to work this morning, the car cut out as I was braking in a line of traffic, once restarted, the above referenced problem became more regular, until the engine management warning light illuminated, and didn't clear once the car was restarted.

I managed to get the car to the garage in 'limp' mode, and the fault was diagnosed to a diesel 'waxing' issue with the fuel filter, which was duly replaced, and the problem would appear to have been resolved.

The service manager explained that there would appear to be an issue with fuel additives generally causing this issue, but I never use supermarket brand fuels, and almost 100% only fill the car with Shell brand.

Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
please cancel the question, and process my refund request, if you read my edited question, the car has now been into the garage for repair.

I don't consider that over 24 hours is a reasonable time to wait for a reply, when the site makes reference to having three Hyundai experts on line at the time I submitted the original query.

kind regards. - Les.