indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Work on all import vehicles
29331485

I stupidly put petrol in my new diesel i20 and drove 2-3 miles

Customer Question

I stupidly put petrol in my new diesel i20 and drove 2-3 miles before realising. It has been towed to local dealer my rac. I am wondering what cost of possible damage likely to be and whether my warranty will now be invalidated. At the same time I want to make sure dealer is honest if damage is minimal.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
How much petrol to Diesel did you have in the tank .

What engine noise did you have coming from the engine when you realized
you had tanked petrol .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I filled tank. Engine wasn't really making a noise just felt like car had no fuel. Have had it cleaned out and filter changed. Seems OK so far
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.

As long as you did not get to the stage where the engine was knocking hard, then i think you noticed and stopped just in time ,
Sorry this happened but time will tell.
The octane of petrol is very high compared to diesel and will causes the engine to work against itself and knock then cause internal problems .

If the job was done fast and the system flushed asap then the petrol in the lines and injection pump should be ok, if the flush time was long then the petrol in the lines and fuel pump may of caused internal seal damaged .

As said if the engine is now running fine then you may be okay .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg