Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My Santa Fe key locking appears to be preventing my car starting.

Customer Question

My Santa Fe key locking appears to be preventing my car starting. When I put the key into the ignition and turn to start I get a click sound. By using the key or the internal central locking button to open & close the car it sometimes clears the problem and allow me to start as normal. Any ideas why this is happening?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please continue to find a solution as my vehicle is now inoperative

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

From what you are describing the ignition switch is starting to fail and is causing the issue that you are having with the vehicle. The ignition switch is not recognizing the key and will need to be replaced.