Mike, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi My 2009 i10 1.2 has rattled from the valve gear and/or

My 2009 i10 1.2 has rattled from the valve gear and/or timing chain since new.
It has been back to the dealer three times and they say there is nothing wrong.
Lately there has been an occasional heavy knocking like a big end.
Service history is all up to date with genuine parts and correct oil used.
I'm getting concerned because the five year warranty has only four months left.
I would value yout opinion.
Regards Brian
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Brian,

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello Brian and Welcome..

What is the mileage on the car ?

Do you have written service and repair history - and is it full dealer service history - ?

Too - do you get any warn lamps come on or flickering at all - or any warn messages on the dash?

Please let me know as much as you can - then we can progress..

Kind Rgds, MIKE......................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike.

Car has done 25000 miles. It has been serviced at the required intervals and with genuine Hyundai parts.

There are no warning lights on at any time and the car runs fine.

It's just the top end rattling that concerns me.

It does not use any oil between services so I am a bit puzzled.

Also it is getting close to the end of the five tear warranty.

I think the dealer is just fobbing me off till the warranty expires.

I just wondered if you knew of any other cases of engine rattle with the i10.

Regards Brian

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Brian -

Thank you for your reply and info there.

The engines in these are generally known to be reliable -but there have been cases of internal failure - but not many...not so many as to cause great concern in the trade or among customers etc as it were..

But what tends to be the case is, they are known to be a little on the noisy side, but more like how shall I say, general road noise.. not so much rattles - and certainly not heavy knocking. That would tend to indicate that you could well have something going on such as main bearing trouble or big ends... This certainly does need bringing to their attention - and insisting I would suggest that the dealer service manager and indeed owner get involved. If you have trouble with them - tell them you are officially registering your complaint to them while the car is in their warranty - and back that up with a letter. Too - insist that they contact Hyundai HQ Technical for you - with a view to having them take a look and listen at your engine... I wouldn't be so concerned but now you have mentioned the bigger noise - that coupled with what you have, could well add up to something not so good - so does merit "proper" attention.

Obviously I cannot hear it or be there, all I can do in this regard is advise you based on what you have described... but the big issue here is that its still under warranty - so you need to get the message over to them as above - so that they see you are not "going away"... Let me know how you get on Brian... It could take a while overall - but that is certainly the best way forward as above on this one given what you have said...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

NB.....You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Hyundai Technician
Experience: Tech Expert