Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Rear shock absorbers of Hyundai Veracruz 2009

Hello, I need to replace the rear shock absorbers of my Hyundai Veracruz 2009. It looks like I need a self-leveling shock absorber (I was told my car came with it, Hyundai part 55320-3j000 and 55321-3j000). These cost about 4-5 times the price of a regular one. Could I replace it instead with a regular shock absorber (Hyundai part 55310-3J110)? What would be the problems if I do so?

Thank you, Emerson

Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I can wait for a couple of days. Thank you

Hello Emerson,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Yes you can replace the self leveling shock absorber with the non self leveling and you will never know the difference in the way the vehicle rides. I have made this swap before.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Mike!

Could you elaborate a bit more? What is the difference between them? One is more durable than the other? Will the mechanic have to adjust the non self leveling whereas the self leveling does it on its own?

In sum, if you could explain a bit more how they work so that I understand why the end result would be the same... The price is so different ($100 each for the non self leveling and $500 each for the self leveling) that I would like to be very sure I am not compromising in safety.

Thank you again,

Emerson

Yes give me just a little while to get back to my main computer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Take your time. Oh... If expanding the question is allowed, please let me know if shock absorbers from the company KYB are fine to use (instead of the original ones from Hyundai).

Thanks!

Will do,thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sure. KYB 344500 is what I have in mind based on my research. It is a non self leveling shock absorber.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike, do you have an update? Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike?

The self leveling set up is designed for the comfort of the driver,meaning the level adjust to the surface of the road that you are on. The non self leveling system stays in the same position at all times. When installed they both are at the same level so there will be nothing for the mechanic to adjust. The safety is not compromised by switching. The shocks from the company that you posted above would be fine to use.Sorry for the delay,computer issues.
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.