Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

my automatic is stuttering when trying to go through the gears.

Customer Question

my automatic is stuttering when trying to go through the gears. the engine check light is lit. Can you advise what the problem may be.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

From what you are describing this is a common issue with the torque converter which is located between the engine and the gear box.
The splines inside of the torque converter become worn and result in the shutter. This normally does not damage the gear box and just the torque converter requires replacement.