Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, My daughter and her husband bought a Toyota Santa Fe

Customer Question

My daughter and her husband bought a Toyota Santa Fe about 18 months ago and it had been fine until about 8 weeks ago. When she starts it every morning and goes to drive a way it chugs and there is no power until it is revved and then off it goes. The car is parked on a slope (front slightly up outside her house but don't know if this is relevant). On Saturday we were out shopping and coming back to the house, we were pulling away at a junction and it did it again. Usually once it has been started for the day , it doesn't do it again but it is really worrying as she has children. If this happened whilst crossing a busy road.....
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

From your description..it certainly sounds of a fuel system related problem - the best course of action if there is indeed no engine management lights on to signal the ecu has picked up on the fault itself.If there is a warning on then have the ecu scanned and see whats faults you have to work with to try and solve this issue or help at least as to which area needs checked out..it might be worth at least having the fuel system checked out inc fuel filter replacement and fuel pressure test..it could be during or over night the fuel system especially so if this is a diesel engine could be loosing pressure and thus you get the fault at first start or after starting.it would also be worth to having the egr valve "exhaust gas recirculation valve" checked to ensure its not sticking/clogged.I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for you prompt reply.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..there..No problem glad to help..please dont forget remember to rate my assistance above - always most appreciated..Regards Robert