Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Wits end...... Hyundai accent 1.3i 2002 model, engine management

Wits end...... Hyundai accent 1.3i 2002 model, engine management indicator on dash appeared after struggling to accelerate, feeling of no fuel and thought maybe pump was faulty, indicator stayed on for several days, should of checked it out I know, but when it went off thought that was end of it, just a blip!! Unfortunately now, vehicle wont start. I tried a direct feed to pump, which works but doesn't allow vehicle to start. for sum reason by luck it started without direct feed all replaced as normal and I drove home 15 miles and parked for the night, morning started 15 miles again stopping and starting three times without error, then after 4 hours parked up failed to start again..... and has now being stubborn, is there a common problem on this model please.
Phil.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

From what you are describing the issue that you are having is consistent with a failed or failing crankshaft position sensor which results in the issue that you are having. I am also a warranty inspector and I have inspected this issue many times as it is a common failure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, 1st opportunity to reply to you, sorry, night shift and net problems. thank you for your time, but where exactly is the sensor situated, besides crankshaft, front rear above below? also if any additional help, can get it to start with easy start, but continues to over rev after few miles, like accelerator sticking although it is not?? only saying in case it supports another theory, before I purchase a crank sensor..!! Many thanks Phil

The crank sensor is located behind the timing cover and the cover will need to be removed in order to replace, these additional symptoms still sound like the crank sensor. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for all your assistance Mike, well worth the money, cheers Phil

No problem, thank you.