Mike, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

recent purchased hyundai i10 S?H 37,500 mls on clock has a

recent purchased hyundai i10 S?H 37,500 mls on clock has a quite loud noise intermittent noise I,m told clutch is worn would cause the noise unfortunately the noise never happens when when returned to show room
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..

Can I just ask - can you describe the noise at all - and - has anyone been able to narrow down the area of the car at least that its coming from?

Rgds- MIKE.......................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, I'm Bevs father re noise Beverly described as loud screeching when it does occur but could not established where it was coming from, however a couple of days as she was leaving us I heard the noise it sounded to me as it was coming from the nearside front wheel. The car was returned to the dealership the mechanic told me he had the up on the ramp but not find any defects with the wheel or its associated parts however on the test drive he noted the clutch was slipping { would a worn clutch be responsible for the intermittent noise?} the cost of replacement £300+ a lot of money to pay if it did not cure noise.

This what worries me, when we visited the workshop the {I assume the manager} had no knowledge of the car yet on the invoice it states tested

my daughter purchased the car and drove it away the same day having paid £120 for 3 mths warranty the clutch is a part is subject to wear & tear I understand Bev bought this in April 2014 in June 2014 she had a breast removed and could not drive for 6 weeks the car was parked on my neighbours plus hospital visits either my wife or I drive her there.

I asked for some goodwill she has been offered £295 regards ***** .

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there -

Thank you for your reply -

Such a screech can be coming from the clutch release bearing - to be honest if the clutch is to be replaced, that gets replaced as part of the kit ( clutch kit ) anyway - so that will be that if thats the cause- Given the clutch is slipping - I would suggest get that all done - then you may find all is well.

IF not - and the screech is still there- then - assuming the basics have been checked - such as the alternator belt and associated pulleys etc - which can also cause such a screech when when worn ( dont forget to have them check the alternator bearing too )...then, if its determined that its for sure coming from the clutch side of the engine - then its a gearbox bearing that s failing ( internal )...

So the clutch needs doing anyway James - so as per above, thats the way forward -next move.

Now - as to warranty's on clutches - they always cry the wear and tear line... but you could argue - and I would, that that mileage you a have on the car, is not enough for a clutch to wear out..

They will argue and say it depends how its driven -- you then need to say that its been like that since you / she had it - so its not her thats done it and as such it should come under the "sales of goods act" - never mind any warranty.

Further to that - the clutch bearing is failing - not through wear and tear.. it should last considerably longer than that - 3 times that is not unusual.....

Now, Ive been answering your question as I read I get to the part where you say you have been offered £295 toward the £300 repair ( I assume plus vat).. ( My fault for reading it like that ! )... that figure is actually not so bad at all James - so I would actually go along with that ...if it were me.

But - I would say to them, this is for the clutch job - If the screech does not go away -then that is an issue they will have to fix under the terms of the warranty... Certainly any gearbox bearings etc will come under that - so there would be no worries there...

I hope that above helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Hyundai Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello again -

Im just checking in with you - I see you have viewed my answer I have sent you but you have not replied or left me the Ok ratings... If you do need anything more- if there is anything else I can help you with , please just ask me - Im always happy to help you further if needed - Or, if we are done, per the way justanswer works, I do just need you to click on the "OK ratings" for me at this point - Thank you kindly in anticipation..

Best Rgds , MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

the noise according to mech.testing was a thin metal plate that deflects dust from the brake pads ?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hi there Beverely..

So thats the anti rattle plates then - anti squeal... Its odd they took so long to find that - but Im glad its all sorted for you.

Thank you for doing the rating for me... and if there is ever anything else- you are welcome / you know where I am..

All the very best - MIKE.