Mike
Mike, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 2006 Hyundai Santa fe diesel with 68000 miles on the

I have a 2006 Hyundai Santa fe diesel with 68000 miles on the clock, the dual mass flywheel seems to be on the way out. Can I replace it wuth a solid one.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is***** happy to help / advise you...

I don't know if you have looked into even the availability of a solid flywheel conversion for this particualr model - but - in any event, my professional advice is that you should not do this.

While it has become a popular "cheap fix "... so very often, the results are disastrous - and extremely expensive. Basically it has to be understood what the invention of the DMF was all about - what it was for. It basically takes the stresses out of the engine - absorbs the forces etc that are produced and gives not only a smooth ride - but engine longevity. So if anything is to fail, its the flywheel.

In many many cases where the DMF has been changed for a "solid " one / kit.... there are cases of total engine failure - ie, the crankshaft snaps - as it now is "taking all the forces" mentioned above - and as the engine was designed to have a DMF fitted for that - the crank shaft and the rest of the engine is not designed to be without it.. The resultant costs are for a new engine...or a big rebuild...

So I would not / could not advise you to go down the route of a solid conversion..for the reasons outlined above.... I know its a dear job to do right now - but its considerably cheaper than the new engine route should that happen to you -- and, the other thing is - you risk a "rough" driving experience with a solid one - while things last. Not everyone reports such vibrations - but the engine failures ( and premature clutch failures due to being vibrated to bits ) are rife. ( I had one here only last week on a Skoda... and previous , a Ford only recently... )...

Im very pleased to have helped / advised you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meantime - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.