Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have just purchased a Hyundai Santa Fe CDX + CRTDA 2188 cc

I have just purchased a Hyundai Santa Fe CDX + CRTDA 2188 cc Diesil car 2007. Present mileage 81000. Occasionally when pulling away in drive the automatic gear box does not seem to engage and the car leaps and grinds forward. Can you give me an indication of the cause. The car is still under a 3 month dealer warranty.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing the issue that you are having with the gearbox is consistent with the torque converter starting to slip and resulting in the problem. The torque converter does not cause damage to the gear box but does require the gear box to be removed in order to replace the converter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks that is most helpful. How likely is it that there will be a catastrophic failure in the near future. I am planning to tow my caravan to Looe on Thursday a 240 mile round trip.
It's not likely that the converter will fail completely, however it can get out and stop pulling and you will need to let it cool before going again. Thank you.