indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Work on all import vehicles
29331485

My 2007 Santa-fe will go into gear when the engine is off,

Customer Question

My 2007 Santa-fe will go into gear when the engine is off, but not when the engine is running. I have tried the service manual suggestions with no sucess. Have you any answers ?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.

Hi .

This is a self adjusting clutch so if you are having a problem selecting a gear then the clutch pressure plate is not disengaging fully , i would first try flushing and bleeding the clutch hydraulic system , if this does not work then you will have to check the master cylinder and the slave cylinder .
If ones in gear and the clutch does not slip then you have a problem with the hydraulic side
or a bad pressure plate and release bearing .

Most cases just a bleeding issue .

Please get back to me with the reply button and not the poor or bad service so i can get back to you with further assistance with this issue.

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried your suggestion with no success. If I can get the car into gear without the engine on, how can it be a clutch problem ? I can start the car if I put it into gear before starting the engine. Yesterday I followed a suggestion from another website to leave the ignition key in the ON position for an hour and it worked. I was able drive 20 miles with no problem. When I tried to start it today without an hours wait i was back in the original problem (ok in neutral but Not working when the engine was started. What could be the issue ? It has got to be the immobiliser surely?