indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Work on all import vehicles
29331485

Hello Mike, I have a Galloper II that is giving me engine trouble.

Customer Question

Hello Mike, I have a Galloper II that is giving me engine trouble. When the car is half tank it keeps cutting out and engine dies, the check engine light comes on and it seems to be idling rough. The fuel tank also seems to have excessive air in it, when the tank is full the engine light comes on but it seems to behave better, there is also a ticking sound coming from right front passenger side
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi .

Which engine do you have in this Galloper .

Did you check to see what malfunction code you have, as a stored malfunction code will be there check for codes this will help .

The code maybe the reason you are having this issue get the codes and please get back to me if needed.

Greg..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Greg

Sorry only coming back now, This is an old Galloper (1991) So there are no malfunction codes. it just has a check engine light on the dashboard.

The engine is a v6 fuel injected petrol engine.

I have taken it to some local people, all reckon it might have to do with fuel injectors. just dont understand why it only starts doing it when the fuel tank gets half?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jacob .

If you have a check engine light then you have a OBD 1 system and codes can be manually gathered..

graphic

Find the DLC, which is behind the glove box and with a Voltmeter (Analogue type )
Connect to pin 12 and 1 and then switch on the ignition the needle will start to deflect ans give out codes the long deflection is your tens and the quick deflection of the needle is your units so if the needle deflects 3 long and 2 short this is a 32 code .

But with the tank issue of half full causing you this problem is due to the hose on the fuel pump being lose ,porous,etc you will have to drop the tank and inspect for damage to the pump fittings and hoses ,tube .also seen this happen when thefuel pump is old and very tempumental to heat and will preform bad and cause you this problem .

See if you can get the codes and check on the chart of which may be your problem .

graphic

Please get back to me if you need further assistance with this issue But please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Kind regards Greg
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience: Work on all import vehicles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Greg, will try and get the car to a service station. But at least now I can give them an idea of where to look.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
GregThank you Jacob .

Please get back to me if needed .

Rgds