Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

there, I have Hyundai i40, purchased in 2012. Late last

Customer Question

there, I have Hyundai i40, purchased in 2012. Late last year I started having problems with getting into 1st and second gear. While I found to be just mostly very stiff, my husband got into trouble while on the road few times. Local dealer replaced gear changing plates only less then 2 months ago under Hyundai warranty. This morning car filled with toxic smoke and again while it was not possible to get into 1st and 2nd gear. Eventually my husband managed to get the car to the dealer whop couldn't replicate the problem and suggested that Clutch needs to be replaced, which is not covered by the same warranty. I checked the internet and there are many boards where people complain of the same issue, first starting when cars are cold and then becoming the constant issue. What would you advise?
Tx
Masha
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Masha,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like to close your question?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
This is a clutch issue do to a poor manufacturing design and should be covered under warranty . They will say it's not covered the dealer and say it's a wear issue or you don't know how to drive a manual transmission correctly etc. but call Hyundai corporate directly and tell them the issue good news is yours was documented early and the dealers fix did not work do the clutch and pressure plate repair will be done . These are the next steps . Please rate excellent service so I can get credit help thanks . Bonuses greatly appreciated!