Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

my garage say my clutch on a santa fe 2012 plate has

Customer Question

my garage say my clutch on a santa fe 2012 plate has burnt out i bought it with 83000 mile s on the clock with full hyundai service history i had fitted a tow bar and my first trip out with less than 60 miles it broke down,the garage says no mechanical failure just burnt out can you help tell me the difference between no mechanical failure and burnt out
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Mechanical failure means the clutch itself either the friction plate/pressure plate fails or breaks up and the clutch completely fails.... If a clutch burns out..normally thats the friction plate,and often the most common for failure..and all you'll get really is virtually no pick up speed but the engine just racing away or burning smell into the cabin of the car/or the clutch biting point becomes higher or vague..there are many causes for a clutch burning out from riding the clutch too often/towing can be a factor too so bear that in mind.especially so if the trailer weight exceeded what the car can pull,or fault with the trailer/caravan brakes holding on - The only way to tell between the two as abopve is to actually look at the state the clutch assembly is in and that would as you'll know yourself gearbox removal..i do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please do so before you rate