Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Hyundai Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 2006 Tucson with a VDO single size cd/radio, which

I have a 2006 Tucson with a VDO single size cd/radio, which has died. The radio is easy to extract using the hairpin tool, but no modern radio manufacturer makes a new radio with the same "DIN" fixing. On the Tucson the retaining claws re part of the radio and engage slots in the fitted mounting box in the dash . On all new DIN radios (eg Blaupunkt) the claws are on the cage and engage slots in the radio casing. The cage is just too large to fit inside the Hyundai box. The prospect of removing the Hyundai fixing box is gruesome: huge rivets etc.
Is there not a simple adapter clip that will convert one kind of mounting to the other?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long response.
To go back with the Hyundai radio which has updated mounting hardware, the dash would have to be removed in your vehicle, there is not a way around it. To avoid doing this you would have to go with a aftermarket stereo which will be sold with a adapter kit to fit.