indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Work on all import vehicles
29331485

I drove without enough oil in the engine and it now have a

Customer Question

I drove without enough oil in the engine and it now have a knocking noise in the engine.
Is this serious
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi .

Thank you for using justanswer, and i Greg will assist you with this question .

If you ran the engine dry of oil and now after topping the engine back up and have noticed a knock in the engine , then this is sadly bad news , as the Main or rod bearings will be starved of oil and damage the bearings .

If you are lucky and found this in the early stage, then you may get away with just dropping the oil pan and replacing the bearings ,this is if you have not damaged the main or Rod crankshaft journals .
graphic

If you did damage the journals then you will have to remove the engine and repair or replace the crankshaft .

Please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund, if you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know.

Kind regards Greg.