indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Work on all import vehicles
29331485

Following a hydraulic tappet noise and dismantling the engine

Following a hydraulic tappet noise and dismantling the engine (120,000 miles) the garage found it was worn out generally. We bought a breakers engine allegedly 51,000 miles and had this installed with new cambelt whilst on the bench (this is 2 lt turbo diesel crtd, 2003). The "new" engine certainly looked "clean" as if it had only done approx. 50,000 miles. They had to use the injectors from the original engine with new injector seals.
When started, the new engine has a lighter "tap" which is apparently hydraulic tappet (but you have to buy 16 of those x £35 to id it. Also it sounds rough and noisy and is a poor starter. Local garage (excellent engineers) say this is poor compression with the engine starting on one or 2 cylinders at first. Only solution, is stripping engine again! Or do we give up?
Could the use of the earlier injectors be causing the problem? Any ideas, thoughts, very much appreciated. We'd love to keep the car, but running too rough!
Jenny
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.

Hi .

Stop !!!
Before stripping i suggest you do a engine oil flush ,this will clean out the hydraulic lifters
as this engine has been probably stood for a long while .

20 minute flush with cyclo engine flush ,then drain and replace with good engine oil and filter. (The can will say 5 minutes ) Do 20 minutes but leave at idle do not
rev the engine .

This normally works but if it does not check with the engine supplier for another engine
if you open this one you will loose the warranty ..

If no warranty then go ahead and have the mechanics check this out for you.

Please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund, if you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know.

Kind regards Greg