Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

MY Hyundai coupe siii 2008 makes a grinding noise when starts

Customer Question

MY Hyundai coupe siii 2008 makes a grinding noise when starts up ... but not all the time. To me it sounds like when the engine is already running and you go to start up again. Been to the garage he agreed, 'tweeked' the starter motor and it was fine for a day, this morning go to start up, it has done the same but this time nearly died, if I had not revved the accelorator it would have died. Got to work around 20 miles away, turned all off, re-started and it started near enough straight away and this time no noise. Need to be out and about again in half an hour or so ... very worried it will die.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Do you know exactly what he did in referance to tweeking? as there not much you can do to starter as per adjustment?

Do they know if the starter is still running when the engines idleing?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry He just actually moved the key in the ignition a bit ... nothing on the actual starter motor. I have noticed over the past few days that the car only seems to make the noise first thing ie: when it is cold. I didn't take the car out on Saturday until mid afternoon and didn't hear the noise at all. When it does make the noise now I move the key back a little.

Not sure about the starter still running when engines idles.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Probably could be a bad ignition switch it could well be worn..and thus if the key can be wiggled and does either way solve or cause the issue..then it likely the switch/tumbler itself is the area at fault..and not with the starter motor itself as you cant do any adjustment to that...but if the starters sticking on and you need to wiggle the key to get it to stop then the problem going to be switch/turmbler but they should actually inspect the wiring to the switch first..and if required replace the switch assembly.if the switch is still got the starter engaged or doesnt disengage when the key springs back..