Mike, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Have a 2003 CRTD on tick over getting knocking from engine

Customer Question

have a 2003 CRTD on tick over getting knocking from engine { not a metallic sound } and a small amount of black smoke from exhaust. plus not a lot of power sounds as if only running on three cylinders
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi shantal i do not mined waiting As long as some one tells me it will take a little time to get me a answer . But not to tell the person its going to take a little time and not replying to a message ...not very good ,uk i will wait but please try and get back to me with answer...thanks robert

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello Robert and Welcome..
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help you / advise.. Im sorry to see you have had a wait.. Personally I have been off a while - so have only just seen your question in the listings.. Evidently no other expert feels they can help you.( just to explain)
So - re your problem -so that we can progress.. can you just tell me if you have had anything done/checked perhaps since asking your question?
The more info you can give me , the better I can help..
Are you able to carry out tests yourself / do you have any test equipment for your engine?
Do you get any fault lights on the dash at all when driving?
Has the engine suffered an overheat at all - or loss of coolant?
Please also tell me the vehicles mileage - and Full reg number...
Too -when was the last engine service done ?
If you can let me know on the above for now -then we can move on -
Please type your responses here - when I receive them, I will get back to you asap thereafter -
Kind Rgds, MIKE.....................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike had service done about 10 weeks ago

put code reader on fault codes only saying misfire

RK03 FWE 140.000 miles

no lose of coolant or oil and has not overheated

no fault on dash

will start and tick over but banging from right hand side [ not metallic ] a bit of black smoke form exhaust and not a lot of power [ it will move forward and back ]

thanks hope this helps...Rob

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Rob - Thank you for your reply and extra info..

Your info sorts a few ideas out - but when you say its a "banging"... is it like a heavy banging / or "knocking" ??

Plus when you say " it will move forward and back".. are you meaning it drives ok transmission wise --? No issues there..

And to help clarify that - is the engine running like a misfire even on tickover?

Too -- can you get the engine to run better - as if its clearing , when you raise you the revs on tickover?

One last question - when did this all start ? Was it soon after the last service for example / close to that -?

Rgds, MIKE..........................

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike

heavy banging

yes it will drive forward and back no transmission fault but no power

yes the engine runs like a misfire even on tickover

i can get revs up but banging gets louder

IT started when i was driving on motorway , lost power and started to knock pulled over and got breakdown to come for me it will tickover and it will not overheat have checked head gasket was some time after service...thanks Rob

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Rob -
Thank you for that -
Going off that description - that's what I was after.. connected with what you describe at the outset.. it does sound as though its perhaps dropped a big end - or a big end has come loose.
Some of these suffer with flywheel failure - but while that would cause a noise - and can cause what seems like a 3 cylinder misfire - you would still have the power - and no I don't see it being that..
If the banging noise is very rhythmic - speeding up with the engine as you rev it - and getting louder - then I would suspect as above.
Next step - you could have a compression test done - on the affected cylinder there would be next to no - or no compression ... and / or - or after thats been confirmed - a case then of remove the engine sump to look inside the engine - it would be immediately obvious if its dropped a big end then.. It does sound like it to be honest - but that's the way to progress on this given what you have described... Im sorry its not exactly good news for you - -
Let me know if you need anything further on this at all -
---- Meantime - Please do click on the Exc / Ok rating for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
All the very best -
Rgds, MIKE.