Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2009 Santa fe clutch problem. After driving 2 -3 miles without

Customer Question

2009 Santa fe clutch problem. After driving 2 -3 miles without changing gear the clutch pedal loses all its pressure. Once stopped, pumping the pedal about 12 times brings the clutch back to full efficiency. Once the clutch has lost pressure the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir has risen. Therefore the fluid is bleeding back into the Master cylinder reservoir. If the car is driven with the slightest foot pressure on the clutch pedal (depressing pedal at most 1cm) clutch pressure remains. The Master Cylinder has been replaced and there is no loss of fluid. Hyundai are at a loss as to the possible cause. This problem has existed for the last 6 months, 4k miles and is not getting any worse! - can you help? Thanks, Jeff
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hellothe first thing to do is bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air outI favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing. If you still have issues with the hydraulics and its good after bleeding but then gets worse after a few days / hours, then I'd try leaving the clutch pedal held down overnight by bracing the pedal against the seat base with a piece of wood or similar, this is to try and force the seals inside the slave to take a set in the right orientation as over time they can shrink and draw air back in when you take your foot off the pedal.This shrinkage isn't enough to leak any fluid but the gap is big enough to draw air in (gas being harder to seal than fluid) if this doesn't work I'm sorry to say that the slave cylinder is going to need changing.also if the fluid is dark in colour this is a sign the seals are breaking up