Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a hyundia tucson and yesterday it went into what

Customer Question

Hi I have a hyundia tucson and yesterday it went into what I think is limp mode I collected my kids the car was fine drove them around our field slowly all ok. Then my wife used it and it would not rev passed 2-3000 and 30-40mph also the engine management light came on I have a obd11 code checker. Plugged it in and I said code p0299 which apparently is a turbo issue I cleared the code test drove the car but just the same lack of power and the light came back on. I have had a quick look under the bonnet but can see nothing obvious Any ideas ?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello P0299 = a lack of boost pressureso I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issuesAlso have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump / turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement If this is OK then check for air leaks after the mass airflow meter - The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will have a look and feel about I am not sure where the by pass valves are or the mass air flow. Is there any where I can find a diagram of where these parts are located ?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me what year and engine type this is, I'm assuming its the diesel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 crtd gsi 1991 cc diesel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All ok ?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloOk the MAF meter is located on / just after the airbox / filer box lid see here
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
and the bypass valve will be on this same inlet pipe
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.