indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Work on all import vehicles
29331485

I have a 2002 2l D Santa Fe Auto ...occasionally it

Hi ...I have a 2002 2l D Santa Fe Auto ...occasionally it will not start ...I have to move the stick position or lock and unlock the car then try again and it normally works ...any ideas what might be wrong

Category: Hyundai
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Automatic or Manual ,
Greg
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi . Just checking in if you still need assistance . Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is an Auto ...it does say that in the question " I have a 2002 2l D Santa Fe Auto "

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Okay thank you (Sorry) missed that . There is a known issue for this which could be your problem ,sounds like it from your question . The Santa Fe and other Hyundai models have a problem with the PNP switch this is the selector on the side of the transmission If this fails this will give you a no start issue .You may in some cases have a check engine light on or the N is flashing . You may have a code P0700 , P0707. Please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are no warning lights on the dashboard .... the only other thing that has been suggested to me was that my battery might need to be replaced as I had this checked at a garage ...but I would have thought if it was the battery the problem would be constant ?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Okay this is possible a battery connection issue .
When you have a no crank issue do the dash warning light go out or dim.
Just make a slight click , remember i'm not in your car trying to start i need a bit more info..
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I sit in the car and place the key in the ignition I turn the key to position one ...blowers , radio ect work ...I wait for the glow plug light to go out ...then I attempt to start the car ...this is when I get the intermittent fail .

I am guessing if it was the battery the blowers / radio etc would not be working ?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Now when you have this issue and yo move the shifter stick back and forth or move to "N" will it then start .Try this if not already done . Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes this it what I normally do and it works ...I have also tried locking and unlocking the car with the key fob which has also worked .

When I move the shifter stick it does not always work first time ..sometimes takes 3 or 4 movements .

There does not seem to be any logic behind when it chooses to start ?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Okay then the problem is what i said the PNP switch this is a know problem by Hyundai .this has to be replaced. If this is slightly out od adjustment or the switch has an internal issue then it will not let you start , but by moving the lever it will make contact ,and let you start . sooner or later will fail completely and not let you start . Rgds Greg