Mike
Mike, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have Hyundai i 20 on a 59 plate. I brought it from a Hyundai

Customer Question

I have Hyundai i 20 on a 59 plate. I brought it from a Hyundai dealer in April 2014 It had 31000 miles on car . It kept completing stopping with all electrics cutting out but coming back on . I could not afford Hyundai charges so went to a well know local garage, they put a new alternator in which helped for a couple of weeks but it is so bad now I am getting worried about having another car hitting me when it happens. The radio and all electrics go and I have to reset everything everytime .Getting desperate now as my garage is baffled as well.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome.
My name is***** happy to help / advise.
When you say " all systems checked out on the computer"... I assume you dont mean by what you say, on a Hyundai / dealer computer.. This I feel is the key here - many local garages do not have the proper equipment needed for the systems on these.
You have whats known as a smart charge system , on these the charge system runs through the main computer - quite unlike many other vehicles.. as such they NEED to have Hyundai diagnostics done when such faults arise. The very fact that you still do have a fault , proves there is a fault code or data in the Ecm , that the garage has not been able to detect - but its evidently there - you just need the right equipment - and Im afraid that is going to mean a trip to the dealer.. at least for the tests - you can have the repairs done elsewhere...if you then want.
The purpose of the System Voltage is to detect an excessively low or high system voltage that may be caused by a malfunctioning charging system.System Voltage is the ignition voltage potential at the Powertrain Control Module (ECM)ECM measures and compares voltage from ignition key and each relay. With this mechanism, ECM knows if the main relay switch turns on after IG on or if turns OFF after IG off.
Im assuming the car battery has been properly tested and verified as ok - In the circuit you can get connection faults - a fault with what is called the "main relay " and / or a fault with the ECM itself ... the main computer.
Quite likely a P0563 code will be seen..with your issue - but you need to have the test done first to make progress with this Im afraid.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this.. I will be only on a little tomorrow due to other commitments but will always get back to you if needed.
~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Mike but what u have said is what I have more or less said I have had done. And the garage I use does use the latest equipment that Hyundai uses, so thanks for replying but we will still keep working on trying to solving this.

Sheila.