Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My Getz 1.1 petrol looses a cylinder in the rain. The garage

Customer Question

My Getz 1.1 petrol looses a cylinder in the rain.
The garage has changed the HT cables to no avail.
Now that the wet season has started again I'm getting problems that only persist in the damp fog/rain any ideas please?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.This sounds like the coil pack may be suffering from moisture ingress, it seems fairly common on these. I also find that the use of water repellent actually makes matters worse. Once the moisture gets into the coil pack, the repellent will actually lock the moisture inside so it is best to spray these when they are dry to prevent ingress, once it happens it is usually too late. The coil pack is relatively cheap and very simple to fit so shouldn't take more than half an hour in a garage. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cables and coil were changed last time.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sorry you didn't mention the coil pack had already been replaced. Do you know if the spark plugs were also replaced? The spark plugs can also cause the problem so it is worth replacing these if they have not already been done, they should be replaced approx every 20k miles.The ignition system is very simple on these and comprises of the coil pack, ht leads, and spark plugs so there is not much else to go wrong. I'm wondering if the coil pack fitted was not OEM, I have had endless problems on various makes and models with cheap after market coil packs so if in any doubt, replace the coil pack with a genuine part or OEM Quality. The same goes for the HT Leads, some cheaper own brand leads are very poor quality and on these engines they need a good strong spark due to being a relatively lean burn engine.If the HT circuit has been ruled out (coil pack etc..) The car needs to be put onto a diagnostic system to identify the cylinder causing the problem and check the input from the various sensors. Another possibility is moisture ingress into the crank shaft position sensor, this sensor is the trigger to power the coil pack and a bad reading can cause a misfire. Finally the same goes from the fuel injectors, these each have a power connector to them which triggers the injector, If there is a bad contact which the damp is getting into it will cause high resistance to the injector circuit causing a misfire. Because many parts of the engine have been sprayed with repellent all connectors should be checked and dried, I recommend Isopropyl alcohol to clean and dry the connectors, then once they are fully dry, re-apply the protection to prevent further moisture ingress. This also prevents moisture being trapped in the connector plugs which causes corrosion of the contact.