indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Work on all import vehicles
29331485

I have a 2009 i20 1.2 petrol. I have had several goes

Hi I have a 2009 i20 1.2 petrol.
I have had several goes to cure what I think is tappet ticking including replacing all the lifters (Pattern part). I thought at that point there were some faulty new lifters since still unacceptable ticking (to my ears). Now there is a mix of new and old. I did my best to flush out any old lifter I used using petrol.
I was thinking of running engine with cam cover off and this might offer a better clue which lifters are at fault? Is this a reasonable thing to do? I have mechanics stethoscopes which may assist? Is there a valve compression tool which I can buy/make to compress individual valves with the cams in place to make it MUCH easier to replace individual lifters? The cams look ok wear wise but I have not measured them - what should they measure - can the lifters get to a point where they cannot take up the tolerances?? The car has 74000 on clock but had a cam chain at 45000!!! If the mileage is true!!
Any assistance much appreciated.
Stewart
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stewart ..
When the car is hot is the lifter noise still loud or does it get better as the engine warms up.
Did you check the oil pressure with a mechanical test gauge.
Low oil pressure will cause you this .
Now if oil pressure test good then run the engine until is at operating temp then rise the engine revs to 3000 rpm and hold for 15 minutes this will bleed out any air in the lifters ..
After the 15 minutes if the lifter sound has improved but is still a little loud, then do a engine oil flush for 10 minutes at idle then drain oil and replace with 20W50 and new oil filter ..
I've seen this happen to engines that had a lot of engine oil sludge,
and in most cases the problem was a blockage at the oil pick up tube. (blocked with sludge).
If this is the case you will see on the valve train a lot of sludge.
You must of seen this when you replaced the lifter .if sludge is a problem or not.
Please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg,
Thanks for you reply.
On initial start up it is quietest!! Just for a couple of seconds! Becomes a bit less ticky when hot but still some distinct ticking.
I had the sump off and cleaned it out, forgot to closely look at the gauze on the pick up put don't remember it looking blocked. I may take sump off again should I remove pick up tube to clean? Although the aluminium was stained dark brown no sludge as such in cam housing.
I have tried all this holding at constant engine speeds but no difference. A heavier 15/40 oil actually made it worse.
Checking the oil pressure is next on my list - where is the oil pressure switch? Do you know the thread size it takes? What reading should I expect at idle/higher revs?
My original question included......
I was thinking of running engine with cam cover off and this might offer a better clue which lifters are at fault? Is this a reasonable thing to do? I have mechanics stethoscopes which may assist? Is there a valve compression tool which I can buy/make to compress individual valves with the cams in place to make it MUCH easier to replace individual lifters? The cams look ok wear wise but I have not measured them - what should they measure - can the lifters get to a point where they cannot take up the tolerances??
Cheers
Stewart
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stewart.
Not seen these cam ware down on this engine but if they was then you would see it on the lobes .
Not sure which thread size you have but most pressure sets come with different adapters,
Oil pressure should be 0.8bar at 800rpm .
Before removing the sump for inspection do the oil pressure test ..
Lifters can only be removed with the Camshaft removed .
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Greg,
Are you sure the spring cannot be depressed which would then allow the rocker arm to slide to the side which would then allow the lifter to be removed? I think the valve would only have to be compressed by about 5mm? Do Hyundai mechanics not have a tool to allow this?
At what pressure does the oil pressure switch go of? Is it less than 0.8bar?
Can the engine be run with the rocker cover removed?
Cheers
Stewart
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stewart .
Not enough room to get the lifter out .
The light will go out at 0.4bar
Thread is 1/8"-27 dryseal thread .
Oil pressure switch
Operating Range: 1.45-4.35 PSI.
Rocker cover remove engine will run but use a cardboard box and make a curtain around the cylinder head so oil does not run down the sides of the cylinderhead.
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,
Just to be clear.....?OK - 1.2 16 valve Kapa engine? Not enough room?Light goes out at 0.4 bar (5.8 psi)
Which is less than the required minimum 0.8 bar (11.6 psi) therefore the oil pressure could be below spec but the light still goes out?
Don't you mean the ideal operating range should be 1.45 BAR at idle ? ( 21psi) to 4.35 BAR(63 psi) at say 3000 rpm?I suppose if I check this and pressure is below spec putting in a new oil pump is my only option?Cheers
Stewart
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also! Where is the pressure switch located.Nearly there!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
? Greg?
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Sorry had a bad and a very annoying day with the internet, will post it when i get into work of the oil pressure switch location .
Rgds Greg
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi .
Sorry again no internet all day ,gods knows how i can make a living with this bad internet issue .
Please cp[y and paste this link in your browser .
You most likely have already found this ?? if you did ,sorry this normally never happens ,well not this bad ..\\
http://imgur.com/jA32dYP
Kind regards Greg
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience: Work on all import vehicles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg,Thanks - no worries.The switch looks easily accessible. My plan of action is...
Buy pressure guage - check pressure. I guess it is probably going to be ok but I will see - if not might just sell the car on if really low. A an oil pump might not be the cause of low pressure.
I now see the valve lifters can be dismantled by removing the plunger thus the original have not been cleaned very well and the wee ball bearing must be very susceptible to dirt.
Remove valve cover and listen with stethoscope to narrow down the bad lifters. Replace again with either new (non Hyundai) or cleaned originals.! Cross fingers!Thanks for your assistance.Stewart