indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Work on all import vehicles
29331485

My car engine (Santa FE) recently made a taping noise

Customer Question

My car engine (Santa FE) recently made a taping noise - I called out AA who said it needed oil. The repair man also mentioned that the oil warning light never came on to warn f low oil pressure. when he ran it something went bang (car still at garage). I have been told the light is to warn of low pressure not lack of oil - however surly it should have illuminated to warn me of some type of oil issue?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi .
Sadly in 95% of the cars with the oil pressure light warning system
is a problem that when the light comes on or even flickers you have to stop there and then .
If you don't extensive engine damage will unfortunately happen ..
This is why many automotive manufactures use a second back up system to let you know when the oil level is too low, then after some time after a bit more than 1/2 quart of oil loss later, then the oil pressure warning light will come on..
You may find that the engine did size ,this will account for the loud "Bang"
Hope you don't have too much damage and that the repairs are not that high ,but in most cases best to Overhaul completely or replace the engine..
Still need help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg