Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

We have a problem with a terracan 2.9 desel manual 2004

Customer Question

hi
we have a problem with a terracan 2.9 desel manual 2004 when we put the caravan on it over heats and goes into limp mode then when cool will travel a few miles then the same does not realy do it without a pressure on it
it has had new head ,viscose fan ,water pump and crank sensor ,plus some other things not done all at same time but within the last few weeks no matter what i have tried it does not solve it ,i see online this is common so is there a common fix
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I see that you've changed a lot of parts but has the radiator been flushed with a chemical / acid treatment?also the thermostat should be replaced Whilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we.installed a new rad will check on thermostat any other ideas
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd also suggest ensuring that you've got all the air out of the system as this sort of episode can leave pockets of air trapped and prevent the coolant from circulating properly. So check that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked If these are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from cold with the heater set to full hot As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to help displace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built into the top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water Once the engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its had a new radiator
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I understand that you've had a new rad, please try replacing the thermostat and bleeding the air out in the manner I've describedjust get back to me on this post
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you