Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician
21364095

How do you remove the hubcaps from a i20

Customer Question

Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Further to my inquiry regarding removing hub caps from Hyundai i20.
There are no instructions or illustrations in the manual.
The caps are made of very thin alloy and bend out from the rims but stay attached at the hub.
There are no tools included that looks as though they could do the job,
.Bill Hood.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
Hello Bill,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your reply, concerning removal i20 hubcaps.
I find it hard to believe no one can answer for what seems to be a simple operation.
As I said previously there is no advice in the Hyundai manual, or tools to remove the caps.
If I attempt to remove the hubcaps as you would think is correct I run the risk of tearing the rather flimsy alloy
that they are made of.
It is not urgent, but I would appreciate it if you could find an answer for me.
Best wishes, Bill Hood.
Expert:  Doug C. replied 9 months ago.
Hi Bill, The vast majority of us here are in a market that does not have the i20 available which is why there isn't a lot of action occurring on your question.What I can tell you with regard to every Hyundai in our market, is that the hub caps are held on by the lugnuts. As silly as that sounds, the way they are set up the holes in the hub caps are just large enough that the lug nuts will go through them and contact the wheel, providing tightening of the wheel and fixing of the hubcap without crushing it.I would have to believe this is no different on the i20 by looking at photos of them online... all of the ones I see with hubcaps use the same style hubcaps we have in our market. Support the vehicle with wheel chocks or parking brake and slightly support the corner of the vehicle at the pinch weld and then loosen the lug nuts on that corner... I think you should find like other Hyundais the hub cap will come loose after the last lug nut is turned a few times.